Sunday, March 6, 2011

Kenna. Help him out, please.

I've never made a secret of the influence Kenna has had on me as an electronic musician (one of my favorite synths to use is modeled after sounds from his albums and named "Kenna Lead"). His music is so important to me that I've thought for a long time about, when my album is finished, giving it away for free and asking people who would have bought it to instead purchase New Sacred Cow or Make Sure They See My Face, as they are and will be far more deserving.

I only bring this up now because Kenna is now going through something that I cannot even fathom: a hardware error has caused him to lose most of his yet-to-be-released music.

You have to remember that his music is largely created by him and him alone. This is not a situation where a band can simply go back into the studio and rerecord the song live; these tracks need to be recreated layer by layer. I have no doubt that in many cases, synthesizer sounds must be made again, an incredibly frustrating task due to the infinite number of variations, particularly when you have something perfect in your mind that you are just shy of obtaining. As an electronic musician, so much of what makes the tracks come to life are the sounds that you make by accident, by tweaking plug-ins and adding effects until the sound you have no longer even vaguely resembles the way it started. Simply put, some things are next to impossible to make again.

To put it frankly, this sucks. For Kenna and for the fans that were waiting for new music from one of the most talented modern artists. But mostly for Kenna.

I am encouraging you all to preorder the EP (or even a bigger package) now to help him offset some of the rerecording cost. The music will absolutely be worth it. On top of that, if you show up to my CD release show (whenever that may be) wearing your Kenna shirt that you got from your preorder, I'll make sure I have something special for you.

"Nothing is greater or less than us."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home