Saturday, September 20, 2008

Guitar for Tinsel Choke

Summer is thoroughly over, and for someone in my line of work (teaching), that usually means a significantly shorter amount of time that I'm able to devote to music. Even though the school year just started (much later than usual), I've been able to get together with Kurt twice already to rehearse and improve some material. During our latest session, he made a loose guitar part of Tinsel Choke that I fell in love with. He did one rough take so I could have a record of it and upload it. I'm sure this is going to change a bit, as will a mix with more than one guitar track on it, but I love the atmosphere it adds to the track. I feel like it brings a much wider, somber feeling to the song.

The part that surprised me most was the fact that the clean guitar sound worked so well. With a pretty heavy drum part, I never would have thought that it would really complete the song so well.

As I mentioned before, I have a feeling that memory is going to be an issue, so I think I'm going to lower the quality to 128 kbps. It's not cringe quality by any means. I'm just hoping I don't have to go lower than this.

Also, I've been trying to come up with a band name for a while, and though I've been knocking a few around there has only been one that has stuck, which I think is the only key to a band name. Plus, it's gotten approval from some very critical friends. When I think about it, I don't really believe a band name needs to instantly tell the listener what the band is about, but they should fit the music once people have heard it. I'll wait until I buy to the domain before I unveil it, but hopefully you'll dig it and think it fits.

Here's the newest version of Tinsel Choke.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Tiff said...

I love this song. It's just dying for lyrics; it's awesome.

I really like the depth that the clean, acoustic guitar sound adds to the rest of the layers ...

I know I said before that I wasn't too hot on the acoustic-sounding guitar solo around the 1:45 mark, but after a second listen it's growing on me ... I'd still be interested in hearing what sort of lingering electric guitar solo would sound like there instead.

Also, around the 2-minute mark there's a space that feels a bit empty compared to the rest of the song, and I can hear a hint of what sounded a bit like a faint electric guitar solo, somewhat like what I was expecting a few seconds earlier in the song ... is that there? If so, please make it louder and post again ... if not, will you be adding something there, or do you have other ideas for that section, if any?

September 28, 2008 at 11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home